- Antoine Tamestit: The French violist on the Goldberg Variations and Bach’s viola da gamba sonatas
- 1672 ‘Gustav Mahler’ Stradivari Viola: The earliest surviving viola by the master luthier
- Michel Van Der Aa Concerto: For Patricia Kopatchinskaja and Sol Gabetta
- Edinburgh Quartet: Their innovative apprenticeship scheme
- Lutherie Cost And Time: How much time and money does it take to make a single violin?
- Strings In Uganda: How string players are faring in the central African nation
- In Focus: A c.1870 cello by William Forster II
- Trade Secrets: Regluing corner-blocks that have been split
- My Space: Hungarian luthier Pál Rácz
- Making Matters: Giving a chamber orchestra the same Baroque set-up
- Masterclass: Saint-Saëns’s Introduction and Rondo capriccioso, with Rodney Friend
- Technique: Violinist Pavel Berman on chords
- Sentimental Work: Gary Hoffman on Brahms’s Cello Sonata op.99
- Life Lessons: British cellist Natalie Clein
- Opinion: Does Harold en Italie contain a secret message to violists?
- Postcard From Windsor: The Windsor Festival International String Competition
Antoine Tamestit discusses his new recordings and we examine his viola, the 1672 ‘Gustav Mahler’ Stradivari. There’s a look at string teaching in Uganda and we have interviews with Sol Gabetta, Patricia Kopatchinskaja, Gary Hoffman, Natalie Clein – and many more!
|Dimensions||21 x 30 x 0.5 cm|
You may also like…
SUBSCRIBE today from £5.25 a month
- 12 issues in print – Priority Mail
- Two detailed instrument posters a year – Includes measurements and thickness maps (posters usually retail at £19.95 each)
- The Strad Directory: the essential annual guide for the string music industry, with global listings for businesses, artisans and organisations (usually retails at £19.95)
- No need to wait – start reading today, with a digital edition of each new issue available on The Strad website
- Dedicated sections for players, teachers and luthiers
- Digital issues back to January 2010, giving you access to a wealth of archived content
- Unlimited access to premium online content
- Special supplements, in print and online, including Accessories, String Courses and Degrees
- Access from anywhere on your devices
To see our online subscription options click here.
James Ehnes, Hilary Hahn, Leonidas Kavakos, Maxim Vengerov, Nikolaj Znaider: some of the violin world's top names have given their thoughts on key works of string repertoire within The Strad's pages. Now, for the first time, Masterclass: Solo Violin brings together articles from the magazine's popular Masterclass section over the past nine years.