In this issue:
- Viola player Lawrence Power talks about playing different instruments, good string teaching and why it’s important to challenge conventional wisdom
- Collaborative making: luthiers finding success in combining their talents
- Examining the notions of the ‘polyphonic performer’ and the ‘complete instrument’ in contemporary music
- How to overcome the challenges and reap the rewards of teaching adult beginners
- Evidence from Stradivari’s workshop that instrument cases were once made there
Plus: In Focus features a c.1776 viola by Domenico Busan; George Yu explains his method for clamping a centre joint in Trade Secrets; My Space features the workshop of Ukrainian luthier Orest Putsentela; plus measuring a piece of wood’s density before carving in Making Matters.
In our monthly Masterclass, Julian Rachlin discusses the first two movements of Brahms’s Viola Sonata no.1; Grigory Kalinovsky on achieving perfect articulation in the left hand in Technique; the four string members of the Schubert Ensemble tells us their Life Lessons; plus Jennifer Stumm on what Rebecca Clarke’s Viola Sonata in Sentimental Work.
We also bring you news of the latest competitions, products and auctions, and comprehensive reviews of concerts, CDs and books.