In this issue:
- Violinist Ray Chen on the importance of social media and popular culture in encouraging a new generation of players
- The ‘Vieuxtemps’ Guarneri ‘Del Gesù’: part one of an in-depth study
- Quartet coaching with Alfred Brendel
- Laurence Lesser on what cellists can learn from the lute version of Bach’s Fifth Suite
- Decoding the old Italian ventral pin with Yann Poulain
In Focus features a c.1798 violin by Matthew Hardie; Stacey Styles explains her method for maintaining a cello top arch in Trade Secrets; My Space features the workshop of Melbourne bass luthier Benedict Puglisi; and in Making Matters, Gregg Alf pens an open letter to Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume.
In our monthly Masterclass, Jian Wang gives her thoughts on the second and third movements of Brahms’s Cello Sonata no.2; Gwen Thompson-Robinow on flexibility in the left-hand thumb for violinists in Technique; US violinistLeila Josefowicz tells us her Life Lessons; plus Raphael Wallfischreveals why he champions Finzi’s Cello Concerto in Sentimental Work.
We also bring you news of the latest competitions, products and auctions, and comprehensive reviews of concerts, CDs and books.